BANANA AND COURGETTE LOAF (dairy and gluten free)
This cake is so good I always double the recipe to make two loaves so I can freeze one for another day (if it isn't all eaten first).
2 large eggs
75g caster sugar (coconut sugar is also an option and is a slightly healthier option than caster sugar but use of this depends on whether you like the taste of coconut...)
220g banana (approx. 2 bananas) mashed
180g courgette (approx. 2 small courgettes) grated– use the whole courgette (the fibre and wonderful antioxidants are in the skin) and grate using a food processor to save time.
150g rice flour (or plain flour works if you don’t need/want a gluten free cake)
2 tsp. (gluten free) baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. mixed spice or make this more cinnamon
50g of finely chopped nuts – my favourite is a mix of walnuts or pecans but any combination of nuts will do.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (165C fan) and grease a loaf tin.
- First grate the courgette and mix together with the flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla, cinnamon and mixed spice, if using. Set aside for later.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until light in colour (coconut sugar will leave a more brown colour which is o.k) and creamy.
-Add the mashed banana and fold in until completely incorporated.
- Add the courgette/flour etc mixture and carry on stirring until completely blended.
- If using nuts, mix in 3/4 of the chopped nuts and then pour the mixture into the tin and sprinkle the remaining nuts on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes (depends a little on the size of your cake tin so check after 20 minutes). You want it just cooked so it doesn't dry out.