This is one that requires marinading so you can prepare it early in the day (or even the day before) and then bung in the oven before you set off on the school run. I sometimes also make it if for a last minute mid-week dinner party (the ingredients are all store cupboard/fruit & veg bowl staples so then you just need to get the chicken thighs): I love a slow cook one-pot wonder on a school night so I don't have to cookwhilst homework and post-school debrief is going on because this tends to be a fairly chaotic time in my house!
N.B. You can make up to the end of stage 4 in advance and keep in fridge until you want to cook it.
6 organic chicken thighs (without the skin)
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 large onion, blitzed in food processor (I keep pieces small for small children in case they don't like the "slimy" texture of onion).
4 large carrots, chopped into small enough pieces for little forks to manage
200ml chicken stock
The juice of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 teaspoons of finely grated ginger
1 teaspoon of cumin
2 finely grated garlic gloves
The zest of 1 lemon
1. First smother the chicken thighs with all the marinade ingredients. Cover and leave in the fridge for 30 mins-5 hours (as long as you have!)
2. Meanwhile, take a medium casserole dish and, over a medium heat, cook the onion and carrot together in the coconut oil for a few mins.
3. Brown the marinated chicken (with any leftover marinade) in a separate pan on a medium hob. This will take a few minutes on each side.
4. Add the browned chicken to the onions and carrots. Pour in the lemon juice and stock.
5. Bring the casserole contents to a low simmer on the hob for a minute and then cover and transfer to a preheated oven. I allow 1.5 hours at 170 fan and then move it down to 150 if I need more time to put the children to bed! Alternatively you can cook more quickly (180 fan for 50 minutes) or more slowly (150 fan for 2.5 hours). Just adjust temperature according to what you need and make sure fully cooked by checking that the chicken's juices run clear when pierced).
Hope you all love it as much as we do!